Thursday, December 20, 2012

Turtle Pancakes

After pancakes and sausage , bacon is the next most popular breakfast meat to be served with pancakes ( except in and around the north east where scrapple is king). Bacon is available at all the pancake houses in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and all around the Smokies. Many pancake houses also serve bacon pancakes, which usually translates into bacon pieces crumbled into the pancake batter.Last night I was watching Bacon Paradise on the Travel Channel and saw a California Restaurant's take on bacon waffles. Instead of crumbling bacon pieces into the batter, this innovative chef placed whole slices of bacon over the batter in the waffle grill. On the plate one could see the bacon sticking out of the sides of the waffle, perfect for true bacon lovers. So this morning I baked my bacon strips, made my pancake batter,and made a bacon pancake. When I turned my pancake onto the plate it looked like a turtle instead of the starburst I had envisioned. It's cute and funny and I can't wait for the grandkids to come for a visit so I can tell the we are having turtle pancakes for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment