Saturday, February 23, 2013

Old Mill Store in Pigeon Forge

After dining at the Old Mill Restaurant we had to wander over to see the mill up close and check out the flour produced at the mill. Once inside we could see the the 175 year old mill at work, with its massive flint granite stones, each weighing one ton grinding grain into the 1,000 pounds of flour and grits that is produced six days a week. Each bag produced is bagged by and hand tied with the same miller's knot that has been used through the centuries.There is something inside me that satisfies my being when I can partipate not only the history and tradition as well as supporting a local business that has been operating for 175 years. So we left with arms filled with pancake mixes, flour and grits. It didn't hurt that we had sampled the pancakes and yellow grits produced at the mill earlier at breakfast. One of the bags of pancake mix, the sweet potato pancakes went into my Foodie Pen Pal box and was shipped off to Florida. ( More on this next post). The following morning after our visit I couldn't wait to try the Spiced Pumpkin Pancake Mix. I was suprised to find all I had to add was water. (Egg and oil were optional). I served my pancakes with traditional Buttermilk Syrup (post 11/23/12) and they were delicious. The Old Mill is one of the most photographed sites in Pigeon Forge and one of the most historic places to visit. The Old Mill stone ground flours, grits and mixes may be ordered online and shipped anywhere in the country.Visit the web site at http:/www.old-mill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment